Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mid-Autumn Gift Giving


Every year in early October the Mid-Autumn festival takes place in China. This festival consists of eating, children carrying lanterns, and looking at the moon. People generally eat moon cakes, which traditionally consist of red bean paste, with a salted duck egg yolk inside. (I know that sounds gross, but they actually taste ok, not my favorite though) During this time people generally get a couple days off to celebrate and give moon cakes to one another, along with other small gifts.

In the case of my school they hosted a small banquet in the school canteen and gave us a couple of gifts. These gifts consisted of a box of four moon cakes, a couple liters of peanut oil and 10 kgs of rice! Both Catherine and I got these gifts, but as Catherine couldn’t make the banquet I had to get them from the school to our apartment, which is at least 30 minutes away and on the fourth floor!!

The gifts were nice, and we are at least set for oil and rice for the rest of the year!!

I'll probably end up leaving oil for people next year! Which I'm sure they'll really appreciate...

No comments:

Post a Comment